I’ve gotten to the point where everything I use on my face on a daily basis is handmade by me, which is pretty exciting. I’m often asked about my skincare routine — what products I use, how often I exfoliate, etc. So today, I’m sharing my 100% natural skincare routine with you!
On a daily basis, I…
1. Cleanse: Twice a Day. Every morning and evening, I wash my face with my all-natural homemade face wash. Our skin is constantly attracting dirt, excreting waste, and shedding dead skin cells, so it’s important to keep up with it by cleansing twice a day, especially if you wear makeup. If you don’t wash your makeup off in the evening, it will clog your pores and result in acne. My mild facial cleanser is made with castile soap, jojoba oil, rosewater, and lavender essential oil (I’ve also begun to add a few drops of tea tree oil to it). It contains no harsh surfactants, so it doesn’t strip away my skin’s natural oils. Instead, the jojoba oil and castile soap combine to gently remove dirt without drying out my face.
2. Tone: After Washing. Immediately after I wash my face, I follow up with my Rose + Tea Facial Toner. Many people skip toners and astringents and go straight to moisturizing, but this is a crucial step in my skincare routine. Using a toner clears up any dirt left behind by my cleanser, restores my skin’s natural pH level, tightens my pores, and hydrates.
3. Moisturize: After Toner. Once the toner dries on my skin, I follow up with either my homemade body & facial oil or homemade shea butter facial cream. Recipes for both of these will be in my natural beauty eBook! Sign up for my emails to be notified when it launches.
On a weekly basis, I…
4. Exfoliate: Once a Week. To get rid of dry skin cells, I’ll use one of my salt or sugar scrubs — I’m really digging my Vanilla Sugar Scrub right now — or if I need something gentler, I go with my oat & cornmeal facial scrub. I exfoliate once a week — any more than that would be too harsh on my skin.
5. Mask: Once or Twice Week. Depending on my skin’s needs, I use one of my clay face masks 1-2x a week. If it needs an extra dose of vitamins, I use my Chocolate or Rose Facial Masks. If it’s on the oily side or I have a few blackheads, I take care of ‘em with my Charcoal Facial Mask. Or if I have an extra avocado laying around, I whip up my Avocado Hair & Face Mask.
What does your skincare routine look like? Do you make any of your own products?