Five years ago, I was just starting to read ingredient labels and ask questions about all of those unpronounceable things in my cosmetics. Today, I’m making products with only natural (and pronounceable!) ingredients in them in hopes of ridding bathroom shelves around the world of nasty chemicals. I thought I’d share some of the amazing natural ingredients I use in my products, and a few reasons why I use them. Let’s start with lavender, the most gentle and useful essential oil.
1. Beauty sleep. Lavender is best known for its ability to relieve stress and induce sleep and relaxation. If you’re suffering from insomnia or find yourself restless, place a lavender sachet into or near your pillow, or take a bath before bed with my Lavender Bathing Salts.
2. Fights acne. Because of its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, lavender essential oil fights bacteria that causes acne infections and reduces swelling and redness. It also works great as an astringent because it helps normalize oil production. For spot treatment, you can apply lavender essential oil can be directly to acne blemishes with a cotton swab.
3. Renews skin. As an antioxidant, lavender essential oil aids in the skin cell renewal process, making it a champion at firming skin and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also protects against and relieves sun damage. Another great reason to use my Lavender Sugar Scrub — which can also be used as a facial scrub.
4. Heals burns, wounds, scars, and chapped lips. Aside from fighting acne, Lavender’s antiseptic and anti-inflammatory attributes make it beneficial for relieving pain and healing burns, wounds, scars, and chapped lips.
5. Promotes a healthy scalp. Lavender improves blood circulation, treats dandruff, and reduces hair loss, making it a great addition to a hair rinse or conditioner. And, it kills lice! It’s especially effective when paired with tea tree oil.
Need more lavender in your life? I use lavender essential oil and flower powder in my Lavender Bathing Salts and Lavender Sugar Scrubs. Check out my Etsy shop for even more handmade, 100% natural goodness.
Warning: Do not use lavender essential oil if you are pregnant or nursing.