2014 was a really exciting year for Poor & Pretty, and for me personally. It was certainly the year of DIYs! I shared more crafty tutorials and recipes than ever before. Let’s take a look back:
1. Valentine DIY: Conversation Heart Candle Holder. This super-simple DIY decor is still one of my favorites. This tutorial uses conversation hearts for Valentine’s Day, but I’ve used shamrock sprinkles for St. Patrick’s Day, mini pinecones and pine needles for Christmas, and confetti for New Year’s.
2. DIY Avocado Hair & Face Mask. This was one of your (and my!) favorites, and it’s no secret why: this mask is very easy and cheap to make and makes your skin and hair feel like you’ve just dropped a few hundred bucks at a spa or salon. But you didn’t!
3. My Cross Country Solo Road Trip. One June 21st, I embarked on a 14-day cross-country road trip by myself, and it was the most incredible experience of my life. I had been going through one of those “quarter-life” crises and needed to get away and think about a lot of things: my future, my career, my relationships with Stan, friends, and family, and a few other deeply personal things that had been haunting me. It was scary and empowering to do it alone, and I came back more confident, happy, and sure. Plus, I had seen the Rocky Mountains, Arches National Park, the Golden Gate Bridge (kind of), the Grand Canyon, and Walter White’s house! Read all about my trip starting here.
4. 25 Homemade Ice Cream Recipes for National Ice Cream Day. After recovering from my road trip, I got right back into the DIY spirit by whipping up some homemade ice cream. I guess you like ice cream too because this was my most-viewed post of 2014. :)
5. Homemade No-Cook Play Dough. Before this post, I hadn’t made play-dough since I was about 9. Suzi and I used to make this all the time with our Nana, so this tutorial is very dear to me.
6. Recipe: Apple Gruyere Cup Pies. These delicious mini pies are inspired by Pushing Daisies, which lasted only two short seasons before being cancelled. Such a great show! (I have a huge crush on Lee Pace.) Scarlett must have remembered these because she gave me a mini pie silicone pan for Christmas! ♥
7. Poor & Pretty Apothecary launch. In October, I re-opened my Etsy shop with a whole new lineup: 100% natural bath & body scrubs, salts, and balms. I’m taking a stand against big cosmetic companies who fill their beauty products with harmful chemicals and irritating fillers to make an easy profit. My handcrafted goodies are entirely natural — no synthetic fragrances or colorants, no preservatives, nothing you wouldn’t find in nature. Grab yours here.
8. Holiday Crafternoon. In early December, I celebrated my five-year blogiversary with local artisans and businesses, then invited over some of my most creative girlfriends for an afternoon of crafting (a crafternoon)! We made some really cool handmade gifts.
2014 was a blast. I did some great things with my blog and business, went on an amazing road trip, witnessed a few close friends marry their soulmates, made some new friends, and generally kicked butt. I can’t wait to see what I will make of 2015! Happy, happy new year, lovelies!