A few weeks ago — after months of testing — I launched the newest addition to the Poor & Pretty Apothecary lineup: Rose + Sea Salt Hair Spray. This lightly texturizing spray gives you beachy waves, without the sand! ;)
Dead Sea and Pink Himalayan Salts add body and minerals while Aloe Vera, Coconut Oil, and Rose Water hydrate and smooth. Like everything else in the Poor & Pretty Apothecary, my Rose + Sea Salt Hair Spray is 100% natural and vegan. Get yours here!
1. Super moisturizing. Coconut oil is full of fatty acids which lock in moisture by reinforcing our skin’s natural lipid barrier. It takes a little longer to absorb than your average lotion or facial moisturizer, so it’s great as a natural night cream or on super dry patches of skin. That’s why I put it in all of my body scrubs as well as my Whipped Body Butter, Coco Body Balm, and Coco Balm. It’s also a natural, vegan-friendly lubricant — but do not use it with latex condoms.
2. Removes makeup. On its own, coconut oil is great at removing makeup, and is safe to use even on your eyes. Just spread on your face, then remove with a cotton ball.
3. Prevents dandruff. As a hydrating conditioner, coconut oil can prevent dandruff. Comb 1-2 tablespoons into your hair starting at the scalp and leave in for 10-20 minutes before rinsing it off in the shower. Be careful – it will make the shower floor or bathtub slippery! I also like to use a little bit to smooth down frizz and fly-aways.
4. Renews skin. The high concentration of Vitamin E and proteins in coconut oil promote cellular health and tissue repair. These processes renew skin and prevent premature aging.
5. Vegan lip balm. Use coconut oil alone as a natural, vegan lip balm or grab my Coco Balm!
When you’re buying coconut oil, remember to purchase organic, unrefined/virgin coconut oil for the best health & beauty benefits. You can find coconut oil at your local natural foods store or here on Amazon. It’s a solid at room temperature, but you can easily melt it in the microwave or a double boiler.
After a few rainy days in April, spring seems to have passed right by, and we’ve been launched into an early summer. (We’ve had at least four 80º days in Connecticut the past week!) This is just fine by me because I get to break out my skirts and shorts! I love my legs and I love showing them off, so I’m psyched to team up with Schick® and Skintimate® during their Rock Your Legs promotion to celebrate the steps we take every day as women.
When skirt season rolls around, I’m happy to make my razor work double-time. Honestly, shaving is relaxing for me. I don’t mind spending a little extra time in the shower or bath because when I get out, I’m putting my best leg forward. ;)
Here’s what I’m using to have smooth, confident legs all summer:
1. Skintimate® Strawberry Tangerine Twist® Women’s Shave Gel. This smells incredible! It smells like strawberry Kool-Aid, freshly squeezed orange juice, and Japanese gummy candies all rolled into one. You don’t need much and it leaves your legs feeling super smooth and smelling wonderful.
2. Schick Hydro Silk® Disposables. I like my razors without (too many) frills. As of late, I’ve mostly used Stan’s leftover Dollar Shave Club razors because I’m too lazy (and cheap) to buy my own. But this little lady is pretty awesome. It’s got five blades surrounded by a water-activated moisturizing serum made with shea butter. It curves gently and pivots in a way Stan’s razor doesn’t, plus it has a grippy handle and a cap that isn’t terrifying to put on. Seriously, does anyone else feel like they’re going to slice their fingers off any time they replace the cap on a disposable razor? Well anyway, this one has a nice, non-scary, easy-to-slip-on cap.
3. The Naked Bee Vitamin C Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF 30. I’m a mix of Danish, Swedish, Irish, Italian, and a tiny bit Native American, but my legs scream 100% Scandinavian. As soon as sunlight hits them, they start to burn. So I have to make sure I’m wearing sunscreen in the summer. This is the only one I’ll use because it’s non-toxic, doesn’t leave white streaks like most natural sunscreens, absorbs well, isn’t greasy, and smells amazing. In short: it’s perfect.
Schick also sent me a few other razors to test out — a Schick Intuition Revitalizing Moisture Razor (left, orange) and their new Schick Hydrosilk TrimStyle. I’ve used (and loved!) the Schick Intuition before, which has 4 blades surrounded by soap so it lathers while you shave, eliminating the need for shaving cream. For this reason, it’s great for traveling. The Schick Hydrosilk TrimStyle is also pretty sweet — it’s got a regular razor on one end and a bikini trimmer on the other. As I said before, I tend to prefer no-frills razors, but I know this will come in handy once our pool opens up.
So whether you’re doing a few tree poses in yoga class (or in the backyard), dancing the night away, soaking in some sun, or simply sitting in the grass taking photos of your legs and getting weird looks from your neighbors (that’s me!), rock your legs this summer and always. Stand tall, girl!
How will you #rockyourlegs?
P.S. Schick is sponsoring Pitch Perfect 2, which I can’t wait to see! There are so many hilarious rockin’ women in that movie. Schick is currently running a promotion with Ahold (Stop & Shop, Giant, and Martin’s) for a FREE movie ticket to see Pitch Perfect 2. Just purchase two Schick women’s shave items ($10 minimum value), and you’ll receive a print out at the register to redeem a code for your free movie ticket. The promotion runs through May 23, 2015.
All Pitch Perfect 2 Limited Edition Shave products will be available beginning April 2015 at drug and grocery stores nationwide.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Schick® . The opinions and text are all mine.
Like we needed any more reasons to love chocolate, right? You know I’m a big fan of putting my favorite kitchen ingredients into beauty products (green tea, oranges, vanilla, etc.), so it was only a matter of time before I started slathering cocoa powder all over my face. And you can too! Today, I’m introducing my all new 100% natural Chocolate Face Mask, just in time for Mother’s Day. But first, let’s talk about why cocoa powder is so awesome for your skin:
1. Repairs skin. Pure cocoa powder is rich in antioxidants, which fight off free radicals, heal damaged skin, and reduce lines and wrinkles. You can see why I decided to make my new Chocolate Face Mask!
2. Prevents sun damage. Polyphenols — a type of antioxidant found in cocoa powder — absorb UV rays and help ward off skin cancer. Polyphenols are best absorbed through drinking, so add a spoonful of cocoa powder to your coffee or make natural hot chocolate. But please don’t slather yourself in cocoa powder! It is not a replacement for sunscreen.
3. Firming. The caffeine and theobromine found in cocoa powder break down fats and drain fatty cells which firms skin and reduces puffiness.
4. Reduces cellulite. Caffeine and theobromine also make cocoa powder an effective natural cellulite treatment.
5. Healthy hair. The sulfur in cocoa powder promotes shinier, softer hair. It can also be used to naturally darken hair.
In my Chocolate Face Mask, I’ve combined the antioxidant-rich, certified organic cocoa powder with dehydrated coconut milk and kaolin clay to gently exfoliate, smooth, and hydrate your skin. Pick one up for you — or your Mom! — here.
I have been on a roll with tutorials lately! It must be the return of spring. :) As part of my ongoing partnership with Bramble Berry, I thought I’d share with you a few ways to make all-natural body sprays and perfumes. I’ve made perfume in the past, so I wanted to try a lighter body spray this time, especially now that I’ve got a few homemade infused oils! Before we dive in, let’s talk about the three main all-natural body spray bases:
Remember the DIY Perfume I made last year? This is an example of an alcohol-based perfume or body spray. Although it contained a man-made fragrance oil, the vodka base itself is natural and can be used with essential oils instead. In today’s post, I’ll cover the Oil and Water based body sprays. If you want a stronger perfume, check out my alcohol-based perfume tutorial here.
I love any excuse to slather myself in vanilla-scented goodness, so my first body spray was an oil-based one, using my vanilla-infused jojoba oil. I combined it with a few drops of sandalwood essential oil for a sensual, woodsy appeal.
8 drops Sandalwood Essential Oil – this is an expensive essential oil, so I recommend purchasing the 5/8 dram. You don’t need much!
4 oz spray bottle
This is a great after-shower spray, and can be used in place of lotion for dry skin because jojoba oil absorbs very quickly, without a greasy feeling.
I’m also a big fan of citrusy fragrances, and I’m in love with the Litsea Cubeba Essential Oil I picked up from Bramble Berry. It’s like lemon with a little bit of pine. In this water-based body spray, I mixed it with Orange Essential Oil and Rosewater, which produced a lovely citrus-meets-bubblegum fragrance. It reminded me of lemon sherbet, tea cookies, summer carnivals, and relaxing on the porch with a good book.