Happy Winter officially! Suzi and I made these snowball-looking coconut cupcakes for our uncle’s Christmas party this weekend, inspired by my Cuckoo for Coconut cupcake soaps (below), and a recipe from Georgetown Cupcake (though we made a few edits). They’re perfect for holiday or New Year’s Eve parties!
Cuckoo for Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting — makes about 14 regular cupcakes or 70 minis.
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 10 tbs butter, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups coconut milk
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 4 tbs butter, at room temperature
- 6 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2-3 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350° and line your cupcake tin(s) with paper or silicone cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a larger bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer), cream the butter and sugar for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs into the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, mixing slowly and scraping the sides after each addition.
- Add the vanilla to the coconut milk in a liquid measuring cup.
- Add a third of the flour mixture followed by a third of the coconut milk mixture to the sugar mixture and mix thoroughly. Scrape the bowl and mix again.
- Repeat step 6 until you have mixed in all of flour and coconut mixtures into the sugar mixture, and it is well blended.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the shredded coconut.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners until they are ⅔ full and bake for 10-13 minutes for minis or 16-18 minutes for regular-sized cupcakes.
- Combine butter, cream cheese, vanilla and 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar in a mixer.
- Add more confectioner’s sugar, ¼ cup at a time, until you are satisfied with the flavor and consistency of the frosting.
- Whip the frosting at high speed for a few minutes, until light and airy.
- Spread the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Pour your shredded coconut (start with 2 cups) into a bowl and dip and roll your cupcakes into the shredded coconut, so that the frosted surface is almost entirely covered. (See photos above)
Don’t forget to check out our past cupcake recipes!