It has been just over six weeks since I announced my all-natural deodorant challenge (though I actually started in early August). Here were the first 4 candidates, as well as my notes. I tried to give each one a minimum of two weeks’ trial to give my body time to adjust, but I couldn’t get nearly that far with some of them.
1. Alba Botanica Clear Enzyme Deodorant Stick in Aloe/Unscented — this one failed miserably. I couldn’t wear it for more than 2 days. Firstly, the deodorant was hard and sticky, and made my armpits really sticky, too. Both days I wore it, I was stinky by lunch. Sticky + stinky = no-go. I give it a 0/5.
2. Mere’s All Natural Naturally Absorbent Deodorant in Jasmine & Lime — I met founder Meredith Knechel at this year’s Trashion Fashion Show, and was immediately intrigued by her lotion-based deodorant. I will admit, the idea of rubbing lotion into my armpits seemed pretty weird, but of course you’re only supposed to apply it when your armpits are clean! Overall, it held up pretty well as long as I wasn’t doing anything super active. When I first started using it, I felt like I needed to reapply it halfway through the day, but towards the end of the two weeks, my body seemed to have adjusted pretty well to it. When I did smell a little, I think it was more because of the jasmine odor than my own B.O. I’m definitely going to try the unscented version. I was surprised with how little I had to use; this tin will last for months. I give it a 4/5.
3. Body Deodorant Rock by Crystal — My friend Beata has been using a deodorant crystal for a while now, and recommended that it be part of my challenge. It did take about a week or so for my body to adjust, but I really liked using this. It isn’t sticky or powdery, and doesn’t leave any residue, so it’s hard to know if you’ve put on “enough.” The only ingredient is 100% natural mineral salt crystal, so you just wet it and apply it to your armpits. I’ve found that it stings a little right after I shave if I have any nicks. It has no odor so it won’t conflict with any perfume or lotion you might use. It looks as if I’ve barely touched it, so I’m guessing this thing would last for years! I give it a 5/5.
4. Ada Rios Aluminum-Free Ladies Deodorant — I picked up this deodorant earlier this Spring and had been using it for a few months. It smells wonderful, goes on nicely, and isn’t sticky. BUT! I always felt like I had to reapply it at least once a day, even more often during the Summer. Plus, it has Propylene Glycol in it, which brings it down to a 2/5.
Putting these in order from best to worst, we have:
- Body Deodorant Rock by Crystal — 5/5
- Mere’s All Natural Naturally Absorbent Deodorant in Jasmine & Lime — 4/5
- Ada Rios Aluminum-Free Ladies Deodorant — 2/5
- Alba Botanica Clear Enzyme Deodorant Stick in Aloe/Unscented — 0/5
I’ll update again soon with my next round of challengers. Your recommendations are always welcome in the comments! :)